This dish is typical for Trinidad and I make this quit often, when i am stuck for what to cook. It is easy ,Straightforward and most of all delicious.
I don’t tend to follow recipes for this but i have included one below incase anyone wants to try.
NOTE: you can have your stewed chicken dry (without much sauce) if accompanied by a callaloo (see recipe) or beans or Just keep it wet (with a lot of sauce) that’s usually how i like it :)
Recipe followed from the Naparima’s Cookbook
- 1 chicken (2 -3 lbs), cut up in 1/8 or 1/16, seasoned and marinated for at least 30mins to 1hr
- Seasoning if you don’t have a bottle of green seasoning you can season the meat wit this : (3 cloves garlic-chopped ,1 small onion -chopped, 3 sprig chive -chopped, 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme-chopped ,small handful of fresh chopped coriander 2 table spoons soy sauce,2 table spoons water, 2 table spoons ketchup, 2 pinches of salt,and 1 tsp all purpose seasoning) and let marinate
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (you can use granulated sugar if no brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tsp tomato paste or ketchup if you like
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- hot pepper (to taste)
- Season meat by mixing in a large bowl with green seasoning (see above if now fresh ingredients you can substitute dry ingredients in stead and lower the amounts to suit)
- Heat a deep heavy pot on a medium fire. Add oil and heat until hot, then add the sugar to the pot until it is nice and golden brown. (don’t let it burn that it crystallizes )
- Add the seasoned meat inclusive of liquid to the hot oil and golden brown sugar mixture (stand back quickly,as water hits hot oil it will splatter and burn) cover pot immediately and let the meat brown for 1-2 mins then uncover and mix the meat so all sides of meat are coated or brown meat looks brown ,Cover the pot again and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Notice how the meat ‘springs’ water. SEE HERE FOR BROWNING PROCESS
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to just cover the chicken.
- Add salt to taste, a whole scotch bonette pepper (don’t let burst),salted butter,ketchup or tomato paste and you can add more all-purpose seasoning just for taste if required
- Cook for about about 25 – 30 mins or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with white rice or macaroni pie (optional)