Stewed Lentils seems to be famous in the Caribbean and the Middle east, this version Is obviously the Caribbean Version. You can eat this Stewed Lentils with Rice and provision and Stewed Chicken or just plain old Provision or just eat it how you fancy it :)
2 cups of lentils (I used the small brown/green ones)
3 cloves garlic
3 sprigs thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash black pepper
hot pepper (as much as you like) I used a medium scotch habenero pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion sliced
water (see in directions)
1/2 teaspoon Caribbean style “browning” (optional)
2 table spoon chopped shado beni or cilantro
1 scallion (diced thin)
1/2 tablespoon Golden Ray butter i.e salt butter (optional, but adds that true island flavour so I could not leave this out)
You can also add :2 Carrots Sliced, Medium piece of Pumpkin or Squash, 1 bell pepper, 1 tomato diced
- Clean the lentils : go through the lentils and take out little pebbles and twigs (they sometimes have some)
- Then pour the lentils into a bowl and wash with cool water (drain), then add enough water to the bowl to cover the lentils and allow to soak for a couple hours (overnight is best).
- drain and pour the lentils and some more water into a deep pot so everything is covered by at least 2 inches of water. Place the pot onto a medium heat, add the garlic, hot pepper, salt, black pepper,thyme and if you’re using additional ingredients ( carrots,pumpkin etc) add them now. Bring this to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low so it simmers. Allow this to cook for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender. make sure the water doesn’t dry out ,it should always have liquid in pot ( add more to suit, this amount should be based on how liquidy you like your stews)
- Get another pot and add the oil to it under medium heat, then add the sliced onions and cook for a couple minutes. Basically until it’s soft and start getting golden edges. Then (gently – we’re adding liquid to hot oil) add the cooked lentils to the pot (pour in everything).
- Get a whisk or a swizzle stick, whisk everything to break down the lentils a bit… then add the browning, scallions, shado beni or cilantro and Golden ray butter and stir around. Allow this to cook for a couple minutes and then you’re done. Don’t forget to take out the twig from the thyme before serving.